Powerline Technician Pre-Employment Training
Designed for those who are not yet employed or apprenticed within the trades.
Not an apprentice? Not a problem. Kick-start your career in the trades in our Pre-Employment Powerline Technician program. Designed for those who are not yet employed or apprenticed within the trades, the Pre-Employment Powerline Technician program provides the first year of the Alberta Powerline Technician Apprenticeship curriculum as well as various safety certificates and practical training directly relating to the powerline technician trade, including Standard First Aid/CPR and air brake endorsement.
In just 14 weeks, you’ll receive valuable theoretical and hands-on training to enhance your chances of gaining employment in the powerline industry. You’ll gain experience in pole climbing, the use of trade specific tools, RBD setup, groundman duties and basic overhead line construction techniques. With the co-operation of business partners, you’ll also have the opportunity to apply your new skills during a practical field experience.
- Successful completion of English 20-2, Math 20-3, and Science 10, pass Apprenticeship Entrance Exam, or pass mark in all five Canadian General Educational Development (GED) tests.
- A Valid driver’s license (class 3 is recommended).
Upon successful completion of The Pre-Employment Powerline Technician program, you will:
- be able to demonstrate skills and knowledge related to the powerline industry acquired through hands-on training
- be prepared to write the First Year Apprenticeship examination.
- be prepared to be employed within the powerline technician industry in Alberta.
- have learned valuable employability skills.
- obtain a Letter of Completion.